Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Today's the day I see my surgeon for the first time!

I see the surgeon for the first time, today!  I'm nervous!  What if he wants me to lose a lot of weight before the surgery?  The only time I could lose weight was while following Atkins.  I'm trying really hard to do calorie-counting, this time.  I don't know what my calorie limits should be, though.  The nutritionist from down here finally called me back, but she confused me.  She was more worried about payment, as my primary insurance won't pay and supposedly Medicare won't pay for a nutritionist unless it's for diabetes management.  She then told me I should talk to my surgeon, but she made an appointment with me, just in case.  I know I need to see her for three months, as that is what the surgical team said in the orientation and over the phone.  It seemed as if the nutritionist hadn't done this before and I know she has, as I was referred to her by a few friends that had the surgery.  :-/

I found this awesome product called PB2 that I am going to try in my soy milk, as I'm lactose intolerant and can't stand the taste of plain soy milk.  Lactaid makes me sick, too, so that's out.  Anyway, PB2 is low in fat, sugars, and calories and has protein!  It comes in chocolate peanut butter, too!  Oh yea, it's a powdered form of Peanut Butter, hence the name PB2.  You can see some of the other products here:  http://www.bellplantation.com/.  PSST...I found a two-pack of both flavors of PB2 for a little over $10 on Amazon with free prime shipping!  I would try the PB Thins, but I'm sure I'd just graze on them, anyway.  I'm going to ask the surgeon's dietician if it'd be okay to use the PB2 after surgery, even though we aren't supposed to have protein shakes on this plan.  The paper I have says we can supplement the protein content of our required two cups a milk a day with powdered milk, so I don't see how this would be different.  It would still be below 10 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar, along with the soy milk, so I shouldn't dump.  Shouldn't being the big word.  Hopefully, she'll give me the okay, or I'll just use it before surgery. 

Not much more to say.  My alarm's not set to go off for another two hours, so if I can, I'll take a nap.  If not, wish me luck that I can stay awake all day.  I see him at 11 am, but have to be there at 10:45 am to check-in.  The drive is a long one, an hour and a half.  Luckily, I have my hubby to drive for me, and he's snoozing away!  At least he'll get some sleep!  LOL!