Tuesday, October 1, 2013

In 15 days, it'll have been one year since I've started this journey!

I didn't even realize it, until the nurse was taking my vitals and said it's been almost a year since I started my medically supervised diet.  Once it sank in and she left the room, I almost cried thinking of how far I have come in such a short time!  I am not a proud person, I am very humble, but today, I was proud of myself!

Well, one thing I never mentioned was that I had my PCP order a pregnancy test for me last week.  According to our bariatric center, we are to use two forms of birth control -- hormonal and barrier.  Our barrier method had failed a few weeks back and I got very paranoid.  Although I have been on the Depo-provera (with no problems) the past 18 years, I was still worried.  I have heard so many stories of women who had lost weight, rapidly, getting pregnant on whatever form of birth control they were using.  Tubes-tied, even (nothing is 100% effective, I have been told).  Well, I am happy to say that I am not pregnant!  I do not want children, nor have I ever.  Plus, I am not in a physical or mental place to care for a child.  Also, I do not want to deal with a teenager in my 60's!  I am perfectly content having furbabies.  I don't know what it is, but I have never felt my biological clock ticking, even when many of my friends started having children.  I do not feel that I would make a good mother, no matter what anyone says.  Anyway, I am very relieved to find that news out.

My TSH was 1.97, which is under 2 and perfect for me (I do better when it's between 1 and 2).  I had a feeling my TSH was high due to not taking my pills on a regular basis.  All is well, now, thankfully!  I got my anti-nausea pills prescribed and just need to pick them up Thursday when we are out and about, again (I have Zofran for now).  She also ordered an ultra sound of my stomach.  She wants to make sure it is not my gallbladder.  I doubt it is, as I believe it is my hiatal hernias acting up, again.  She felt the Prilosec should be taking care of it, but I had to remind her that I had the nausea problem prior to surgery.  So, I go in for my ultra sound on the 10th.  Hopefully it's not my gallbladder, as I really don't want to have to face that surgery, when I'd much rather have the knee replacement, if needed.

Speaking of my knee, I had my PCP check my orthopedic surgeon's notes and there was nothing about a prescription for a knee brace.  So, I called and left a message for my physical therapist, as she was the one that was going to talk to him about revising my diagnosis so that the brace would be covered by insurance.  I am waiting on her to return my call and update me.  I sure hope it works out, as I'd much rather use a brace than get surgery.  I did ask my PCP if she would handle my Arthrotec prescription for me, as I no longer see a point in going to a rheumatologist when I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon for my knees.  She agreed to do so.  So, that's one less doctor for me to see.  Thank goodness!

I got my flu-shot in one arm and my depo in the other and they are both kind of stiff, now!  Nice!  LOL!  Not really much more to update on.  If I think of anything, I'll just make a new post.  Take care and have a great week!